Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao!


Well, I’ve been in Rome for almost two weeks now, but it feels as though I’ve been living here forever. The city is so beautiful and diverse. I love that there is so much history mixed in with the contemporary, very different from California. Today my roommates and I visited the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the Roman Forum. A lot of walking (in the rain no less) but well worth it.

Only 1/3 of the original structure remains but at it's prime it could hold 50,000 people




"Magna Mater"- she brings life and fertility to the Roman people

I would have put up a picture of a Cypress tree but I didn't want to rub salt in your wounds, Dad :P



Apparently Romans don't care too much for this building because it was commissioned by Mussolini :/ 
Yesterday I walked around the corner from our apartment (literally- around the corner) to the Church of Santa Maria in Tastevere. The interior was gorgeous with a huge mosaic scene above the altar. The experience was surprisingly relaxing, a nice change of pace from the hustle and bustle of the city. And to think, this fourth-century church is just around the corner from where I live… kinda crazy.





Last week we visited the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, cliché tourist spots but impressive none the less!



I absolutely love my roommates, they are all really cool and easy-going. We are going to stay at the apartment in Florence next weekend so that’s our next adventure, and hopefully I’ll be spending my first break next month with Christine in Ireland!

All in all I am really enjoying living in this huge city. There’s always something to do and the walk to school is never boring- ah yes school. Sometimes I forget I’m here for school and not to travel! Right now we have Italian class for three and a half hours every day which is semi-brutal but I feel like I’m learning a lot. 



Also I've been cooking a lot which is kind of a big deal for me, my roommates are teaching me. I made this the other night!
Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Any idea if they have ultra races? just kidding the culture, buildings and food, I can't wait to read everything you post. Its almost like being there. KP

    ReplyDelete